Monday, May 30, 2005

"Rally in the Alley" ...Sal Panto

The Strausser Enterprises presentation before the Joint Meeting of the PC & BoS on Tuesday, May 24th was attended by a SRO (standing room only) audience of concerned residents. Joe Nixon (Morning Call 5/25/05) wrote an excellent piece describing the mixed reactions of all present as well as the scope of the proposed project.

Sal Panto, the Strausser representative who did the "show and tell" for the proposed Village Center Zoning Ordinance, explained that they (Strausser Enterprises) met with the Township staff (Kline, Kichline, Hay, and Weis) to come up with project changes that might be more amenable to the Township. He described the golf course history and said that there's a bear that makes monthly visits and that they are trying to make it "even more of a natural habitat than when the farmers were growing corn..." He asserted that the Village at Riverview was planned 6-1/2 years ago and because they didn't own the land then, it wasn't included in the original PRD (Planned Residential Development). He said that if they had owned the land then, it would have been approved by the Board at that time. He touted the benefits of adding a commercial center in the middle of the Riverview residential area.

PC Chairman, Vito Tamborrino, asked Panto to explain the proposed zoning ordinance. Panto replied that it was taken from ordinances in other communities and that it follows the "State ordinances." Panto said that they did not ask for an "overlay" because in the future others would come in and want to use it (the overlay) in areas where it wouldn't be compatible. Panto confirmed that they wanted not to change the Zoning Ordinance but to change the zoning map. The project would involve 68,000-70,000 square feet of commercial space and 215 dwelling units. Supervisor Bonnie Nicholas commented that that would mean 500 extra cars and asked about the "open space." Panto said there would be a lot (of open space) if the parking is included. He speculated that "open space" would probably be around 25% with the PRIVATE 4-1/2 acres of Recreation Center. Planning Commissioner Jim Wideman pointed out that the Recreation Center is a subdivision and that the entire project density is a quite a bit more than the CR district would allow. CR would allow only 80 houses. Panto offered to leave some of the parking as green space until it's needed as parking and then it will be paved. Planning Commissioner Dean Turner noted that we have a struggling Town Center district and that this might compete with it. Turner said that this project would be good in the Town Center district but not out in the countryside. Planning Commissioner Erik Chuss stated that the density is unbelievable and that it appeared to be trying to turn a suburban area INTO an urban area. Both Nicholas (BoS) and Les Ottenwalder (PC) noted that they would support the plan if it was all on one side of Winchester Drive. Various audience members presented comments both for and against.

A vote, taken to recommend or not recommend to the Board that this project go forward, ended in a 3:3 tie. No recommendation will be made to the Board by the Planning Commission.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Professor Ruggles -- Wonderful Speaker!

Forks Action Committee what a great meeting this week – just felt a quick note of thanks needed to be written. Professor Ruggles' presentation about Storm Water Run-Off was very informative and interesting. It certainly gave us Forks Residents much to think about.

Please keep up the great work!

Sunday, May 22, 2005

BoS Meeting 5/19/05

Both Joe Nixon (Morning Call, 5/20/05) and Nick Falsone (Express Times, 5/20/05) described the meeting deliverables very thoroughly. Read them both for more details. We will try to fill in the blanks.

The meeting began at 7:00 PM with a Conditional Use Hearing for ACR Products, Inc., a company that sells and services pressure washers. The company will be located in the old Fancy Furrows Farm dairy store and the hearing was necessary because under the current zoning laws, there cannot be two uses in one building. Fancy Furrows Farm uses part of the building for farm equipment storage. Under the new zoning (currently being written) two uses will be permitted and hearings will be unnecessary.

At 7:15 PM, Township resident Jim Wideman, was interviewed (in the public meeting room) by the Board for Brent Alinger's unexpired term on the Planning Commission. It was short and to the point. Wideman has lived in the Township since 2001. He said, "I have been in construction most of my life... and I've been in a lot of different developments... I have an interest in what goes on in Forks." He hopes to have a positive impact and he noted that the Township is in a heavy growth mode. When asked if is able to read blueprints, he replied "yes." Supervisor Henning Holmgaard asked if Chairman John Ackerman had the recommendation from the Planning Commission and was told that they did not interview for the position and that this was the only person who submitted an application. Ackerman further stated that it was up to the Board to make the appointment.

REGULAR MEETING

REPORTS: SUPERVISORS, MANAGER, ENGINEER & SOLICITOR

  • Supervisor David Hoff reported that there was an Emergency Management meeting last Tuesday.
  • Supervisor Bonnie Nicholas reported that she did the tour of the Police Station and that it is very nice. She said that the Paxinosa and Sullivan Trail sewer main was repaired and that the new pump station went online May 17th. A GIS has been installed on the computer.
  • Supervisor Henning Holmgaard congratulated Lee Fisher on his Primary win.
  • Supervisor Donald Miller reported that the Community Center has been quiet for the last couple of weeks and that they are getting ready for summer. He said that the summer basketball league has over 100 teams. He announced that they have two new classes for the summer, (we think he said) acting and French teaching. Both will be taught by school teachers. There will be a youth soccer camp and all details will be on the Township website.
  • Miller then brought up the wader purchase that Nicholas noted at the last meeting stating that Nicholas was right, they did cost $135. He said that they were not purchased by anyone in his department but by Jim Seiple of the sewer department to work on the pond at the Community Center. Nicholas asked why it was okayed and stated that "we should keep on top of spending and what's okayed without anybody knowing about it." Miller said that it "could all have been resolved with a telephone call to him so that it could have been looked into without wasting everybody's time." The monies will be replaced in the Community Center budget and removed from the Sewer Department budget.
  • Ackerman asked to add two items to the end of the agenda, Designation of Agent Resolution for FEMA to appoint Cathy Kichline and the Planning Commission Vacancy.
  • Township Manager Cathy Kichline reported that she has contacted PennDot about the gully on Route 611 near the Mineral Springs Hotel. She would like to accompany PennDot when they visit (along with Engineer Hay and the DPW chief.) Regarding the requests of residents on 611, she stated that NOAA and PennDot links are now on the Township website.
  • Chief Greg Dorney reported that the police department has moved into the new building and he expressed his sincere thanks to Sean and the road crew who did it all in one day. He said that "Pete's been a great help too." He said that Lehigh Valley College presented the bullet (& flak?) proof vest for Sunny, the new K-9 and that Sunny had his first drug arrest last weekend. On June 2nd there will be a mobile vehicle on site for Project Childsafe. They will provide free gun locks to homeowners so that their weapons can be kept in their homes safely. He has literature available about the program. For those who cannot make the program, firearm locks will be available at the station. They are also planning a bicycle safety program open to all residents of the Township on July 15th in the park system. He added that the PD will host a free self-defense course for women sometime over the summer.
  • Engineer Fred Hay reiterated that the pumping station is online and working perfectly. He said that he needs direction regarding what to do about bid openings. Hoff interjected, "Do we delay the process by two weeks?" Hay said that the bids opened by the Board could be approved subject to his and Kline's review. Holmgaard said that "staff should be opening them" and that the Board is delaying everything. Nicholas said that when the Board opens them publicly, no one can question that they are on the up and up. Kline stated that the bid opening process is four-fold: (1) Bids are opened, (2) Bids are tabulated, (3) The technical people determine that the bids are "responsive technically," and (4) Solicitor exams them to be sure that they contain everything that they are supposed to. A vote was taken to have the staff publicly open the bids before regular meetings (at 6:00 PM?). It passed 3:2 with Ackerman and Nicholas dissenting. Ackerman said that he has been asked how he knows if bids are legitimate when he is not present at their opening. Hoff said that "we have the recommendation of our professional staff."
  • Solicitor Karl Kline reported developers agreements for the EASD Middle School project are ready to go and that the project will likely start in June. He also stated that the Balazs' on Zucksville Road have done nothing about moving the utility pole and that the complaint is ready to be filed.
CORRESPONDENCE:

Nicholas said that she has received complaints from her neighbors about cars and big trucks parked on Hill Road. She asked that NO PARKING signs be put up. Chief Dorney said that the police will enforce a parking ban if the Board passes an ordinance. Holmgaard asked Solicitor Kline write an ordinance and in discussion Supervisor Hoff noted that he doesn't want "to pass an ordinance to try to resolve a neighborhood dispute." Kichline said that she will give Dorney a PennDot booklet on standards.

COMMENTS FROM THE FLOOR (NOT AGENDA ITEMS):

Resident Scott Gingold addressed the Board to thank the "road department for their swift response and action to the notable sinkhole on Clarendon Drive." He also said that all the residents of Clarendon Drive appreciated the efforts of Kichline, Weis and Hay for getting the heavy trucks (going to the Townes project) off of Clarendon and making them use the construction entrance on Sullivan Trail. Gingold asked if the debt figure (printed on the agenda) now included the interest figure as he had requested at the previous meeting. Kichline said that it does, that the figure printed on the agenda is the current debt including all interest but that they are having trouble finding the amortization schedule for one item. Finally, he asked that the Board add "raising fees to developers" to a future meeting agenda. Gingold said that the way the town is growing, it should not have any debt. Ackerman replied that it would be added as would raising fees for temporary vendors (flower sellers etc.) Holmgaard added that "we are doing new zoning." Kline said that fees are adopted by resolution but that an ordinance is needed first. He added that the last time fees were raised was in 2003 and that they cannot be "ex post facto' raised for projects in progress (as they are grandfathered.)

The STATUS UPDATE BY ALEX GALE/MUNICIPAL COMPLEX, was thorough as usual. He reported that the firehouse is going very well and that it should be occupied in the first half of July. He said that the main trusses for the new Municipal Building are in place. There was a lengthy discussion of the source of the fittings in the project. Victaulic fittings had been specified in the plans and a sub of a sub made a substitution of foreign fittings. This vendor has been replaced as will the fittings. Nicholas asked the move-in date for the Municipal Building and was told the end of September. She asked because of the furniture delivery. Gale said that there will be storage and it shouldn't be a problem. Holmgaard asked about the CCTV system and Gale replied that the PD is completed. Gale advised that time is running out if they want to put the wiring in for the other cameras now while the walls are open. He admonished the Board for continually tabling these things with this little ditty (picture a little jig too), "Tabling doesn't make it." Holmgaard motioned that the wires be put into the walls where the other cameras should go. The wiring along will cost about $18,000. It passed 5:0.

Michael Goffredo, developer, appeared before the Board to explain the SULLIVAN TRAIL BUSINESS PARK/IMPROVEMENTS COMPLETION. Kline, by way of background, noted that the project received approval in 2001 and that the approval agreement was executed in August 2002. Since then two projects have come before the Board for lots in the development, one for Merchants Bank and one for Warren Hospital. He stated that many of the infrastructure improvements have not been completed and that he wrote to Goffredo in January and that there have been lots of letters "flying back and forth" between him and Goffredo's solicitor since then. Hay provided a complete list to Kline of things that need to be completed. Two of the items on the list are the unfinished sanitary easement on the north side of Uhler Road and unrepaired sinkholes in the detention pond. Kline invited Goffredo to come to tonight's meeting. Kline also said that the Letter of Credit has been renewed and extended to May 2006. Goffredo said that there are two reasons that the site improvements are not of concern, (1) "there is nothing that will deter the heavy construction sequences with the roads in their current state" and the roadways are settling and (2) the terms of agreement allow a 2 year period from the date of the first permits. He went on to say that this is one of the most difficult intersections in the Township (Sullivan Trail and Uhler Road). He said the Verizon poles and engineering transitions (from fiber optics to conventional) terminate there. He plans to undertake the road widening with PennDot's project and he wants to minimize the time on Sullivan Trail. He expects to finish in July. He also said that there have been two consecutive years of 51 inches of rain. Hay said that there is no viable sewer system, that they are plugged. Kline asked that Goffredo give his word (a statement) that he will be committed to get all the improvements done within the 2005 building season. Goffredo replied, "That is our intent. I foresee no hurdles." He offered to come back in a month to give a 5 minute report. Weis said that it is important that they start with Sullivan Trail.

Chairman Ackerman recused himself from the ACR PRODUCTS INC/CONDITIONAL USE discussion and vote because is involves a building that he owns. Conditional use was granted in a 4:0 vote.

Bids were opened for the FUELING FACILITY/OPEN AND AWARD BIDS from S&M Management, Inc., from Centerpoint Tank Services, and from APTL(?). The contract will go to the low bidder, Centerpoint, ($91,615) as long as their bid complies with all conditions. Until the bids are analyzed (for adds and deducts), the low bidder is not certain. This was tabled and will be resolved at the next Board meeting on June 2nd. In the interim, the Township vehicles will use the fueling facilities at the Municipal Garage on Frost Hollow Road.

A PennDot permit was issued for the ZUCKSVILLE ROAD/SULLIVAN TRAIL TRAFFIC SIGNAL but it did not include widening Zucksville Road to allow for a left turn lane. Kline said that it is okay to sign it "conditioned" on a written agreement with the developer paying the costs. Hay said that the road will be widened towards the bank (KNBT). Kline thanked the "staff" (Fred and Cathy) for being proactive and finding this.

Kline said that all was in order for ESTATES AT BUSHKILL CREEK SUBDIVISION/DEVELOPERS AGREEMENTS and it was approved in a 5:0 vote.

Hoff said that on November 18, 2004 when the budget was passed it included 1/2 the salary for a Finance Manager with the position to be filled by July 1, 2005. He and Kichline believe that a Finance Manager is necessary. He moved that the Board ADVERTISE FOR FINANCE MANAGER POSITION
at a salary of 45-50K per year. Ackerman noted that he was unhappy with this. Kichline says that the position is necessary because of the millions that are handled and that she has an issue going on right now with tax revenues not being transferred and reported to her in a timely fashion. Nicholas reminded Kichline that she agreed to forego that position in favor of a needed receptionist. Nicholas asked where the list is of when things are due. Kichline says that it has taken her two years to find all the contracts that the Township has. She said that she is still finding contracts now. Nicholas pointed out that the Township Manager's job description includes all finance related things. Kichline said she needs staff to do that. Hoff said that a Financial Manager will help the Township to deal with the lack of funds coming in the Township's future. Nicholas noted that the people we have are not necessarily in the positions they should be in right now. She further noted that we should have workers and not "a bunch of chiefs". A resident noted that this position was only to be evaluated now and not voted on. Hoff was prepared for this comment with a reading of the motions from November's meeting. Another resident asked that with all the computerization that has been added, has an outside consultant been brought in to evaluate the staff for what they are doing today since functions may have changed? Holmgaard said that the Township's outside auditor said we need a Finance Manager. Nicholas said she is not saying that we don't need a person to do finance but that we should make sure that everyone is in the proper positions first, that people are trained to do what they are supposed to do. Kichline recommended that a committee be formed to evaluate the need for this position. She feels the Township is missing a link on the financial side. Miller said that he talked to the auditors. Nicholas pointed out that the money is being used for another job and she doesn't know where this money will come from. Hoff said "it's in the budget". A resident asked why we couldn't hire a CPA to get this straightened out. Nicholas said that the books were supposed to be straightened out with the new software package. Holmgaard said it doesn't address the long term problems. Nicholas stated that we were moving into a new building and everyone's jobs are changing. She noted again that we should know when everything is coming due. That it's important that the Board not have to make decisions in one week when things are not known in advance. Ackerman asked to see a job description. Nicholas asked to see how we are going to afford it. It passed 3:2 with Nicholas and Ackerman voting nay.

The CURRENT BUDGET REVIEW was tabled 5:0. In a 5:0 vote Kichline was designated as the AGENT OF RESOLUTION FOR FEMA. And, Township resident Jim Wideman was appointed to fill the PLANNING COMMISSION VACANCY for the unexpired term ending 12/31/06 with a 5:0 vote.

After the EXECUTIVE SESSION the Board announced that the little stone house in the woods next to the park will be rented by Deputy Fire Chief Brian Weis. He is willing to do the minor repairs himself at his own expense. The rent will be $750 per month. The meeting was adjourned.

Our objective is to relate what is experienced at Forks Township meetings for those who cannot attend. We are attempting to be as factual as we can. If we make a mistake, tell us via email or Comment here in the blog, and we will do our best to correct it. We are not perfect. We want to get it right.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

BoS Meeting 5/5/2005

(We apologize in advance for not reporting what we could not hear. The room was very crowded, with lots of chatter. NOT ALL SUPERVISORS AND MANAGERS used their microphones and some details were missed by our note takers.)

This night's meeting was especially well attended. It was another SRO meeting. The Municipal Building may be the NEW place to go on Thursday nights! At least two dozen EAHS students were there as was a large group of residents from the flood impacted eastern part of the Township.
Joe Nixon (Morning Call 5/6/05) and new-comer (to Township coverage), Kurt Bresswein (Express Times 5/6/05) described the emotional Comments From the Floor session very thoroughly. In fact, from Bresswein's piece we learned that the Deputy Fire Chief, Brian Weis is the son of Fire Chief Tim Weis (Code Enforcement/Zoning Officer/Emergency Services Coordinator ). One of the students present was invited to "gavel" the meeting OPEN. She did a fine job!

REPORTS: SUPERVISORS, MANAGER, ENGINEER & SOLICITOR

  • Supervisor Nicholas said that the Sewer Department received their computers and asked when the software to read drawings will be installed. She also said that the sewer lines from Paxinosa, Elizabeth, Richmond, and Frost Hollow have been "televised" and that smoke testing of Heather Lane will begin soon. She asked Engineer Hay if there was a deadline for the sewer line on Route 611. He said that the design is not complete, so no, there is no deadline. And, she asked Township Manager Kichline if resumes for the DPW Director's position have been received. Kichline replied that quite a few have been received and that the deadline has been extended to May 13th.
  • Supervisors Holmgaard and Miller did not speak into their microphones and their reports could not be heard above the din. Chairman Ackerman and Supervisor Hoff had no reports.
  • Kichline reported that they have "buttoned up" the FEMA application and the Township will receive $46K for Ivan. She reported that the Township has received a $5K grant for the restoration of the log cabin interior (Joe Nixon - MCall - reported on it 4/29/05). She also said that a proposal from Beatty for $15K (?) was received for the demolition of the Sullivan Trail house. Holmgaard asked if the trees could be saved and was told by Zoning Officer Tim Weis that there was only one pine and it was not in very good shape. Ackerman instructed Kichline to go ahead (with the demolition.)
  • Hay reported that the resident who resisted granting the Township an easement for the Frost Hollow swale work has now signed the agreement in exchange for a 6" diameter silver maple tree. Solicitor Kline asked that the easement agreement be added to the night's agenda. Ackerman made it item #7.
  • Chief of Police Dorney reported that he sent copies of the Traffic Study to the residents complaining of the light problem on Sullivan Trail and Old Mill Road.
  • Zoning Officer Weis reported that FEMA grants of up to $30K are available for eligible homeowners because there was 50% more cumulative damage than first assessed. Holmgaard asked "What if people don't want to?" Weis replied that it was at the "homeowner's option."

CORRESPONDENCE: Hoff noted that the sewer tap in fee was lower. Both Kichline and Hay replied that they are working on it and that they want to add the pumping station.

At the end of the DEBITS/TRANSFERS section Supervisor Nicholas asked a number of questions:

  • She questioned the application of funds from the Sewer Authority Fund for both new Dell computers. Kichline said that she applied 2/3 of Pete's (Gheller) to the Sewer Fund and the balance from the General Fund because "they interact." It was decided that it should be a 50/50 split.
  • Nicholas questioned the purchase from Mike's Bait & Tackle Shop of a pair of waders for $135.00 and the purchase of magazines for the Community Center. She felt that the magazines should be fitness magazines. Miller responded that the $135 Mike's Bait & Tackle purchase was for more than waders. He said the waders were inexpensive and that they also needed hoses (to clean the new detention pond.)
  • She questioned Kichline on the transfer of monies from the Giant account and was told that it was simply a transfer from one account to the other.
  • Nicholas also asked why the total debt figure had increased from the last reported figure to $9,826,594. Kichline explained that a few items were missed when the debt was originally calculated and that missing were the two Fire Company loans, one for a ladder truck and one for a rescue truck.

COMMENTS FROM THE FLOOR (NOT AGENDA ITEMS): This agenda item discussion began with Ackerman addressing the audience to ask, "How many are here tonight who thought that there was going to be a meeting on the flood?" He said that the Supervisors didn't know anything about this. He suggested that their spokesperson contact the staff to set up a workshop. He displayed the anonymous flier that residents in the flood plain received urging them to attend tonight's meeting. Those who wanted to speak, were allowed their five minutes (each).


  1. Jessica Paul (new resident) addressed the Board to discuss the last rainstorm and the mud clogged gully near her home (on North Delaware Drive.) She said that the gully overflowed and caused 611 to be closed. She said that it continues to be choked with mud and that it is ruining the shoulder of 611 and eroding her property as well. She is also concerned about the proposed 30 acre driving range (Riverview) and her drainage. Ackerman told her that the Board has not yet seen any plans for the driving range and that the clogged gully (and drain under 611) is a PennDot problem. She asked how to contact someone from PennDot and Ackerman asked her to leave her phone number. She is concerned about the chemical usage on the golf course also.
  2. Kevin Chu (sic) (husband of Jessica Paul) said that he is an architect and new to Forks and he is interested in "planning" issues. He said that historically developments bring in development dollars. He asked if the Township has plans for a "rainy day fund." Ackerman deferred to Kichline who told Chu that the developers are charged fees, the Recreation Fee, the Capital Improvement Fee, etc. and that the monies are used for things the General Fund does not support. Chu explained that he wants to be sure that the Township is fiscally sustainable in the long term. He stated that fiscal health and quality of life are integrated together.
  3. Colleen Abahazy (flood victim) said that she has lived along the river for nearly 30 years. She asked the Township's help with "the issue of water management or the lack of it." She asked that the Township along with FEMA/PEMA encourage the State and local governments to help. She cited the water releases from the dams during the flood. She noted that the Rieglesville, Upper Black Eddy, and Harmony flood victims got help from their communities with water, traffic etc. for over a week and that the only visible help the Forks residents got was from the police department who stopped the traffic on 611 for three days. Ackerman said that the Public Works Department spent a lot of time on 611 helping to clean it up. Weis stated that he heard about the water releases too and that the Township cannot be specific about water releases and that the Fire Department went door to door to notify residents to evacuate.
  4. Dale Barr (flood victim) said that he was NOT told to evacuate. He did it on his own and began evacuating at 8:00 AM. He thought that the Township should have been on top of what was happening. He got 7' of water in his house and has been cleaning/pushing mud by himself. He said that no one came to help or to ask how they were doing. He read the letters to the editor from others who were flooded in other communities thanking their townships for helping them. He said that the first time he saw anyone from the Township after the flood was when Mr. Weis came down to hand out electrical permits. Ackerman said that HE declared a "state of emergency" and that 4 trucks were sent out to notify people to evacuate. Deputy Fire Chief Brian Weis interrupted to say that he was the one in the truck who spoke to him (Barr) in the morning and told him to get out. Barr said that Lower Mount Bethel Township residents were notified at midnight to evacuate and with that much warning, he could have saved many of his belongings. Tim Weis said that they relied on the County EMS (sheriff's deputy was there) and they didn't tell them early enough.
  5. Carol Shehosky (sic) (flood victim) asked if there is a way on the Township's website (or an 800 number) to show an hourly update of the rate of the river rising. Weis said that this is a good idea. Kichline said that she, Tim, & Greg should look at the communications aspect of the website. Shehosky said that it should be data specific to Forks. Another resident interjected that the Delaware River Basin Authority has one (a river website). Shehosky went on to say that there was nothing for people without computers, no radio, no television, no coverage at all. She asked the Township to create a toll free telephone line for residents to get up-to-the-minute updates and to link the township's website to a river gauge.
  6. Linda Hill (flood victim) stated that "we are upset" that they were not notified sooner through public radio or public TV. She said that they use the yardstick and time clock method to track the rate the river is rising. It gives them an idea of how long they have to get out. She stated that she has been flooded 3 times in 10 years and she suggested that the Township use a representative from the river area. Ackerman told Weis to contact someone upstream for information on water releases. Hill also asked when Frost Hollow Road will reopen. Ackerman stated that it supposed to be completed in July. Hill also said that the golf course has done much damage. She said too, that houses will have to be reconstructed on stilts in order to accept the State grants. She said that the Delaware was 4' higher this time than during Ivan. She asked if the Township will help clean up the river debris. Ackerman said that volunteers can give them a hand but the Township cannot deal with the liability. Kline said that the Township CAN help in an emergency situation but if the Township helps with the general cleanup, then anytime anyone has any kind of a problem they will ask the Township to be responsible for taking care of it. Hill said that she is asking the Township to "step up and speak to PennDot for us!"
  7. Francis Cafferty (sic) (flood victim) said that he heard mention of sewers on 611. Hay said that there will be public sewers on 611 from the Gypsy Rose restaurant to just above where Old River Road meets 611. Cafferty asked WHEN? Hay said that he could not answer since the sewer line is not yet designed. He did state specifically that no one north of Danser Hill Road will get it. Cafferty then questioned enforcement of the 45 mph speed limit on 611. He said that his handicapped and elderly neighbors are terrified to cross the street to get their mail because of the trucks. He said that after the flood there was a dry spell and the trucks came down the street at 60-70 mph and they were out there trying to clean their houses and "breathing all that stuff" (some septic tanks overflowed.) He said that the Penn Dot street sweepers came through like a caravan (3 trucks in a row) and "blew that stuff higher than the mountain." He called the police to get them to stop. He said it happened in Ivan too. Ackerman suggested that he call PennDot since it's their responsibility. He said Harmony Township and Rieglesville fire departments washed the roads. Basements were pumped out by the Coast Guard from Barnegat Light. He asked the definition of "watershed" and asked if the development has helped.
  8. Scott Gingold (resident) asked Ackerman if the debt figure printed on the agenda includes interest owed. Kichline said it does not. He asked what the interest amount is and Kichline said that she will have to calculate it and that she will have it for him at the next meeting (his request.) He asked if the figure included the Community Center Loans. She replied "yes." He requested that the Board heed the pleas he has made on and off for the last seven years to raise the fees charged to developers to support the town's growth as well as its future needs. He stated that there should be no debt with the amount of development happening in Forks Township. There was no response from the Board. Regarding the flood, he said that he wrote a letter to the Morning Call about the lack of coverage during Ivan and that not one person nor one radio or TV station responded. He urged residents to pressure the radio stations with letters and threats to boycott their advertisers (if they do not cover local emergencies.) He said too, that it was great to see so many people at a meeting and that there is a lot going on in this Township. He asked them to please continue to come to meetings.

After the COMMENTS session, many of the students and residents left the meeting.

The STATUS UPDATE BY ALEX GALE/MUNICIPAL COMPLEX began with Gale asking the Board if they had any questions regarding the budget update that he had given them. They did not. He gave much detailed information about the progress of the site and said that the PD move in date is now set for the weekend of May 14th. He asked too if he could add a walk to the flagpole (it was missed in the original design) so that they don't have to walk on the grass. The target date to occupy the new firehouse is now set for the first week of July. Holmgaard asked to discuss agenda item #6 (ADDITIONAL SECURITY @ POLICE STATION) at this point since Gale is involved. Gale said that after the start of the CCTV installation they learned that they are shy of complete coverage. They have 2 blind spots, the entry way, and the weapons storage area. The costs for the needed additional two cameras was not included in the budget and therefore needed Board approval. Nicholas asked how many in total. Gale replied that they had 6 units in addition to all the old stuff. Purchase of the additional units was approved 5:0.

During the FUELING FACILITY discussion Ackerman said that he sent out a few more bid packages. Gale said that he gave out 5 more and some of the companies actually came to look at the ground. The deadline is May 13th and the bid opening will be at (or immediately before?) the next meeting on May 19th.

Hay recommended tabling the PHEASANT RIDGE, PHASES 1, 2, & 3/IMPROVEMENTS COMPLETION until the 7/7/2005 meeting. He said that Jim Seitz was having problems with outside (onsight?) drainage and street lights. The vote was 5:0 to table.

Kline recommended tabling the SULLIVAN TRAIL BUSINESS PARK/IMPROVEMENTS COMPLETION until the next meeting on May 19th. Hay said that the sanitary sewer has been "televised" but nothing else has been done. Kline wrote a letter to the developer, Goffredo, in January. Goffredo's attorney answered him and he asked the Board to look at the letter and revisit it at the next meeting. The vote to table was 5:0.

The RUTH KLEIN/MINOR SUBDIVISION was granted Conditional Approval with a 5:0 vote. The property is located on Richmond Rd. just south of Short Road and the subdivision will make the 16 acre parcel into 4 single family residential lots ranging from 2 acres to 7-1/2 acres. The project was granted a waiver from the SALDO requirement of 2' minimum contour spacing (on the plans). Two of the "conditions" are that lot owners pay all fees and that a deed of dedication for a 13-1/2' tract be given to the Township.

Kline said that all was in order for the KNOLLWOOD ESTATES, PHASE I AGREEMENTS and that there is an irrevocable Letter of Credit for $1,084,998. In addition the developer gave a $4K contribution for traffic study and $28,302 for a road improvement. Kline also noted that the developer has to pay a Recreation Fee of $1500/per dwelling unit, a Capital Improvement Fee of $1750/per dwelling unit, and a Sewer Tap-In Fee of $3350/per dwelling unit. The agreements were accepted in a 5:0 vote.

The Board also accepted ESTATES AT STEEPLECHASE NORTH, PHASE 2 AGREEMENTS in a 5:0 vote after being told by Kline that all was in order.

LAFAYETTE PARK PHASE 1 & PHASE 1A/RELEASE FROM IMPROVEMENT MAINTENANCE was accepted in a 5:0 vote after Hay stated that he inspected it and all was in order to release the Letter of Credit.

Hoff asked that a new FIRE DEPARTMENT/5-YEAR PLAN COMMITTEE be formed. The goal will be to look at expected expenditures for the next five years and to begin a 25 year plan. So far the new committee will consist of Hoff, Kichline, & Weis. Holmgaard also volunteered.

The (added to the agenda) FROST HOLLOW SWALE EASEMENT AGREEMENT was accepted in a 5:0 vote. Kline explained that the condemnation will not be necessary as the homeowner has agreed to the easement in exchange for a 6" maple tree planted where he wants it (on his property.)

After the Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter, the Board voted to accept the resignation of Patrolman Terre Feinberg. The meeting was adjourned.

Our objective is to relate what is experienced at Forks Township meetings for those who cannot attend. We are attempting to be as factual as we can. If we make a mistake, tell us via email or Comment here in the blog, and we will do our best to correct it. We are not perfect. We want to get it right.